It is estimated that there are 5 million orphans in Ethiopia. Soon it will be 5 million minus ONE!


Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Bring In The Reinforcements

I have spent much time thinking about our "Obama" incident and can't help but wonder how can I teach my child how to stand up against racism. Is it possible for a caucasian woman to teach a little African American girl how to do so?  I know I can teach her to be self confident and to stand up for herself, but I cannot teach her to be an African American woman when all I know how to be is a caucasian woman. How could I possibly teach her how to be a strong AA women? I can't. I have read many books about biracial adoption and knew there were going to be issues like this. I was just so surprised how early they surface. I have come to the conclusion that it is so important for Little Miss to have an African American mentor. The unfortunate problem is the demographics in this area; 98% caucasian. This quest will be difficult, but I believe it will be worth the search.

No comments:

Post a Comment